   Re: [xml-dev] Tags and Types (was Re: [xml-dev] Re: maps)

> case of

> > > yup. but this value _is_ tagged, it's not just a string.
> >
> > "Just a string" is the heart of this entire argument, and not a given
> premise.
> >  In the end, if it can be expressed in XML, it is "just a string".  The
> magic
> > is in the interpretation, and as long as you have the full tools for
> > interpretation, I don't see how gung-ho tagging is any less ambiguous, or
> more
> > valuable in any other respect, than the use of untagged content.  The tags
> can
> > themselves be the full tools for interpretaion, but in this thread we are
> > looking at cases where this is not necessary, because of convention.
> Geospace
> > and dates are the example.
>
> And my claim is that tagging the data _reduces_ the ambiguity. Now you may
> claim that there is no ambiguity in which case you can interpret your
> (non-XML) strings. My claim is that if there is ambiguity, tagging reduces
> it.
>

> > > Besides the vast majority of Americans write:
> > >
> > > <date>02-03-2004</date>
> > >
> > > and so when you have different specs that start mixing the order of
> years,
> > > months, days it _is_ ambiguous. If you write out the date as is often
> seen
> > > in legal documents it is the equivalent of the marked up version:
>
> Where is the schema in the above example? I don't see one. I see only
>
> <date>02-03-2004</date>
>
> Now we might use the <date> tag to somehow find a schema but suppose the
> naked
>
> 02-03-2004
>
> where is the schema? Granted if you have _already ascertained_ that this
> value is typed a schema might not be necessary, but is that the case here?
>

> > No.  It is not the slightest bit ambiguous because the schema
> disambiguates
> > it.  Your example also needs a schema to disambiguate it (as Joe pointed
> out,
> > you don't state whether it's CE or BCE), so I still don't consider it less
> > ambiguous.
>
> Again, what schema?

The one that says that your date is CE and not BCE.  If there is none, you
have big problems.

> Suppose the string "10". What does it represent?
>
> a) a title of a movie
> b) a decimal age
> c) a binary number?
>
> it might be any of the above.

Yes.  And...?

> > I think Joe made a killer point with his mention that you probably don't
> write
>
> I missed the point of this one. All numbers I've seen writted (unlike dates)
> are written right to left in increasing significance.

Seems you want to miss the point  :-)

So because you posted one example that you felt had to do with the order of
slots in a structure you assume every example must?  That's the only thing
that needs to be specified in lexical representations?

Whatever.  I'm off this one.  We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/libra
ry/x-jclark.html
Python and XML development using 4Suite, Part 3: 4RDF -
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/8A
1EA5A2CF4621C386256BBB006F4CEC