   another naieve question - valid characters for ID values

So, at the risk of stumbling across another point of contention between
programmers and writers :)

Why do the the values of an ID attribute have to start with something
besides a number? That is to say, why can't they be simply numbers? Or
have I encountered a limitation of the parser I'm using (libxml2)?

rick jones
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com  but NOT BOTH...