   Re: [xml-dev] Reality check needed ....

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 12:21:54PM -0400, Mike Champion wrote:
>8/7/2002 11:39:33 AM, "K. Ari Krupnikov" <ari@cogsci.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>>Mike Champion <mc@xegesis.org> writes:
>>> Back to the file extensions, the OS could keep track of metadata to
>>> "know" that a particular file is XHTML, or SVG, or XSLT, irrespective
>>> of the extension.  (By keeping track of what application edited the
>>> file last).
>>
>>Isn't that why they invented doctypes, namespaces and MIME types? Why
>>would you need to know which application wrote the file last?
>
>I meant "keeping track of what application ..." only as an example one thing
>an OS vendor could do, not the canonical way to do it.  Poor wording on my part.

The exemplar here is presumably MacOS.  For MIME types embedded in the file
system, see BeOS.  For a heuristic, based on file content (magic numbers,
characteristic byte patterns at particular locations, and more general
heuristics for analyzing and classifying text files), see file(1) and
magic(5).

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis       amyzing@talsever.com      alicorn@mindspring.com
The flesh is strong.  The spirit stronger.  So shed your skin, baby.