   Is it time for the 80/20 thread yet?

I'm not sure if this fits into Jeff's permatopic schedule
but we haven't talked about the evils of complexity in
awhile :~)  I was inspired to ask permission to re-raise this by
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/08/08/020808hnusenixcode.xml

'WHEN IT COMES to writing secure code, less is more.

That was the advice passed down Thursday by security expert
Paul Kocher, president of Cryptography Research, who told the
Usenix Security Symposium here that more powerful computer systems
and increasingly complex code will be a growing cause of insecure networks.

Huge chunks of software such as Microsoft's Windows operating
systems that have myriad features built in to take advantage of
fast processors will perpetually have more flaws than security
experts are able to uncover, he said. For this reason, programmers
and companies should keep simplicity in mind when writing applications
and only build in tools that appeal to 80 percent or more of users.'

No direct mention of XML, but clearly it takes complex code to
implement complex specs.