   Re: [xml-dev] XHTML 2.0 and the death of XLink and XPointer?

At 04:43 PM 8/9/2002 -0700, Tim Bray wrote:

>   <anything-at-all xlink:href="foo">...
>
>I assume this must simply be an aesthetic issue since the above poses no
>technical problems whatsoever, and is in fact substantially easier to deal
>with than out-of-line markup that requires you know about a schema.

While I don't have access to the full (lengthy, repeated often) discussions
currently at home, I do want to step in here and say it's NOT in any way
shape or form "simply an aesthetic issue". There are real fundamental
capabilities that were not addressed in the XLink spec, despite many
comments and protests (in fact the requirements for XLink were rewritten
midstream with a result that avoided some of the HTML WG's requirements).

I'll make an effort to post a concise and complete list of issues that lead
to the development of HLink as an option on Monday.

Ann