   Re: [xml-dev] XHTML 2.0 and the death of XLink and XPointer?

Uche Ogbuji writes:
> > This message in particular:
> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2002Jul/0199.html
> >
> > reads like an acknowledgment that the XLink WG did in fact say more
> > or less "the hell with XHTML"
>
> It doesn't read that way to me at all.  Can you explain?  No such
> thing is in the text, so you'll have to show how it may be in the
> subtext.

Sure.  Read this piece of it hard, and decide whether the XLink WG
actually felt that the concerns of the HTML WG were important.
-----------------------------------
 > 2: It must be possible to apply XML link semantics to existing
documents by
 > modifying the documents' DTDs only, requiring no modification to the
 > document instances themselves.

Yes, the XLink WG failed to meet this requirement.

 > We also thought that requirement 2.3:
 >
 >     XLink must support HTML 4.0 linking constructs.
 >
 > meant that XLink would support, well, HTML 4.0 linking constructs.
 > This turned out to be a matter of interpretation.

Yes, the XLink WG interpreted this to mean that what they built should
have power and flexibility as rich as that in HTML4.

In short, they "failed to meet" a requirement that the XHTML WG
considered important, and "interpreted" away a requirement that they
actually support HTML 4.0 linking constructs.

I have a very hard time reading this much more kindly than "go away; we
don't care about what you want."  Then again, I've had that response
from the XLink WG on enough occasions that I'm almost certainly biased.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!