   Re: [xml-dev] Comparable considered necessary

Simon St.Laurent scripsit:

> URIs identify the untouchable unknowable reality that is resources; all
> we see are the shadows on the wall.

Well, really this is not so mysteriously platonic.  After all, when
we want to refer to Boston, we don't insert Boston (the city) into a
sentence: we use its name, e.g. in this sentence.  And when we
want to refer to the *word* for Boston, we don't insert the very
word into a sentence: we use *its* name, 'Boston', e.g. in *this* sentence.
Assertions can only contain names for things, never the things themselves.

--
John Cowan                                   jcowan@reutershealth.com
        "You need a change: try Canada"  "You need a change: try China"