   Analogy (was RE: [xml-dev] quarantining namespaces)

8/12/2002 4:19:32 PM, "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com> wrote:

>Nah.  Leave it as it is as an exemplar of
>why programmers can't reason by analogy,
>thus failing to communicate with 80% of their
>customers while satisfying 20% of their
>customer's requirements.

I recently had to give a presentation at the annual sales meeting
of a partner company.  During the coffee period preceding my
talk (supported by the usual PPT slides) I learned to my dismay
that a hot-shot sales trainer had been in the day before and told
them that one should NEVER put bullet points in a presentations, but
rather to rely on images and analogies.

So, analogy may be slipperier than logic (quoth Heinlein???) but it
seems to be the rhetorical tool of choice for communicating with
the non-nerds of the world.

I'm not sure if I'm agreeing or disagreeing with Len :~)