   URIs == the Web was: Re: [xml-dev] quarantining namespaces

Paul Prescod wrote:

> I say that *each* HTTP URI is *both* a locator *and* an identifier.
> Mozilla uses it as a locator when you click the link. Google uses it as
> an identifier when it looks up a cached page by URI. This is the
> "contemporary" or "duality view". This view seems more powerful.

Violently agree. Many folks complain that this view conflates "name" and "locator", yet indeed this so-called conflation is exactly what makes the Web interesting, and why it uniquely does what it does.

This is the Web's most defining characteristic(IMNSHO).

Jonathan