   Re: [xml-dev] SLAIX (was: Can XLink be fixed)

 From: "John Cowan" <jcowan@reutershealth.com>

> I'd like to launch a discussion about solving the infoset serialization
> problem once and for all, for every kind of infoset.  As a trial balloon,
> I propose SLAIX, which stands for "serializing in Layman normal form
> any infoset as XML."

I have a suggestion for a PSVI serialization at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2002Jun/0149.html

Its main feature is that it preserves all the important relationships in
the original document. So there is (good as) no added complication for people
who are not interested the TAI parts, and the original document
can be reconstructed by simply taking the first child of the root
element.

Basically, it provides a wrapper containing
   [original-document,
    schema,
    links-and-validation-annotations]

This is in contrast to "super DOM" approachs, which will probably
always be ugly. A serialization that does not preserve the original
relationships is not really a serialization of an "augmented" document
at all: it is a serialization of a transformed document.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe