   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Can XLink be fixed?

At 8/16/02 09:25 AM, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

>The XLink syntax only defines the existence of a link between two
>resources, the meaning and behavior of that link is a question for
>the particular application and the local processing environment,
>and this is how it's intended to be.

The XLink Rec claims to only define the existence of a link between resources (two resources? Elliotte, you of all people!) , but then it defines, or at least makes some very clear suggestions, for quite a bit of link behavior with the xlink:show and xlink:actuate attributes. I think that addressing link behavior to the extent that it does is one of the biggest problems with XLink, and the fact that what little scattershot implementation of XLink that is out there either implements the behavior part *or* the typing, arcrole, etc. parts shows that these fall into different architectural levels that really should be treated separately.

Bob DuCharme          www.snee.com/bob           <bob@
snee.com>  "The elements be kind to thee, and make thy
spirits all of comfort!" Anthony and Cleopatra, III ii
(bobdc e-mail address used only for mailing lists)