   Re: [xml-dev] P2P and URIs

> > I'm still waiting for someone to show me that the Web was something
> > designed and guided by REST principals (as claimed in the link above),
>
> How could I show you what was in Roy Fielding's head?

The IETF works primarily through mailing lists, and the HTTP-WG was no
different.  I am puzzled why I couldn't get google to turn up anything
that might imply there were guiding design principles.  I doubt this is
completely my fault.

> The best I could do is say that the Web largely
> adheres to REST principles and these principles provide a plausible
> explanation for its success, as architectural principles provide a
> plausible explanation for the success of my house in standing up.

No, you can say that the Web adheres to these principles, and that it
works. Post hoc propter hoc, as I said before.  Your analogy is flawed
because there is real science and real math behind architecture.  If I
want to build a skyscraper out of wood, I don't have the freedom of making
genetuically modified trees.  If I want to build a world-wide hypertext
system, it might not be surprising that a large industry of load-balancers
and caches needs to be created.

I'd consider the rest of your post -- an extensive quote collection --
more apropos if they came before the Web started to take off, or at least
sometime before the HTTP RFC's.  The 89 TBL quote seems more about data
representation than global distributed architecture.

I'm on vacation all next week; have fun.
	/r$