   RE: [xml-dev] Re: Can XLink be fixed?

Hi Ben,

Ben said:
         You mean like the tried-and-true "img"? You're making the point

for me. XHTML 2.0 would already going to face some severe roadblocks,
due
to its abandonment of several tried-and-true HTML tags. Since it's going
face those roadblocks already, there's no significant cost to losing
"href".

Didier replies:
Precisely.

This is why we should ask from the WG to _explicitly_ state the
showstoppers and breakdowns they have with such specifications like
Xlink in order that we can understand if this is based on social,
economical, group think (I doubt it would be that), upward compatibility
(again I doubt it would be that since they already killed other tried
and true constructs), or mental model traps (hummm, maybe :-) ), or any
other sound reasons I would, and - my colleague too - like to know.
Asking us to construct a puzzle to get the answer is just a diplomatic
way to say "get out of our way", publishing the paper help:
a) to seriously think about and document the reasons
b) open the debate
c) get more feedback
d) show openness and transparency (something W3 has been so often
criticized for)
I know that several members of this WG are full of good intentions and I
just hope that politics' or self interest would prevent them to publish
such document.

Cheers
Didier PH Martin