   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Can XLink be fixed?

"Didier PH Martin" <martind@netfolder.com> wrote:

| It would help to understand why xlink is broken.

Xlink itself may or may not be broken.  The sanctioned way to use it is
broken.

| Off course, we may not like the namespaces or the way namespaces are
| handled

I believe the critics are in a minority.  That's normal with a maguffin as
long as it continues to enchant.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=0euiot4uvoushj2sa0dg3bfqjvh89t1mbk@4ax.com

| but it remains that from W3C, as an institution, we expect consistency
| and coherency.

Emerson's aphorism comes to mind.

| The actual problem is that a particular W3C WG says that there are
| some showstoppers with Xlink, a respected member of this WG, Ann
| assured us that we'll have a document stating the reasons why such
| breakdown is happening

I agree, we should wait for this document.

| (and thus invalidating the xlink theory/specifications).

I'm guessing there's nothing particularly wrong with the basic theory.
The problem is in the um, recommended, practice.