   Re: [xml-dev] linking, 80/20

Didier PH Martin wrote:

> Didier replies:
> So Paul, to the list of arguments that invalidate the xlink
> theory/specifications you add: too many namespaces lead to an increase
> in cognitive load. Could this be fixed by a DTD declaration or where and
> how do you see a major showstopper preventing the namespace
> identification to sit outside of XHTML documents per se (i.e. in DTDs).

The namespaces recommendation has no technique for identifying the
namespace outside of the document. Even if you put the declaration in a
DTD, you must still use the correct prefix for the correct
attribute/element. The situation would be a lot simpler if there were
some W3C-approved mechanism for allowing out-of-line remapping. For some
applications, putting declarations out-of-line is inappropriate
(inefficient, inconvenient) and the way namespaces do it inline is fine.
For other applications (like XHTML), putting the namespaces and prefixes
inline is inappropriate because it is over-intrusive, IMO.
--
"When I walk on the floor for the final execution, I'll wear a denim
suit. I'll walk in there like Willie Nelson, John Wayne, Will Smith