   Re: [xml-dev] Newbie confusion with xml

8/19/2002 11:05:49 AM, <dale@qc.aira.com> wrote:

>   Now, I'm sure you can see how confusing this can seem to a beginner trying
>   to teach himself.

There are lots of good books to buy, and tutorials on the Web, to assist.
Google for "XML tutorial" or "XML Introduction".  As I recall, the first
few hits are quite valuable resources.

>   How would I receive something like this?

If by "receive" you mean translate it into something meaningful to you, that's
what a "parser" does.  Assuming that Ariba publishes a schema for their format(s), you
would probably want to use an "XML data binding" tool to automatically parse
the message into a Java, C#/C++, or whatever, object that you could manipulate
in your usual manner.

>   What kind of page would I need to catch this information?

Hmm, if it is being POSTed via HTTP, you'd want a CGI/Servlet/ASP thingie to catch it

>   How would I send the response?

However the other side wants it ... HTTP PUT or POST most likely.  Or email, FTP,
whatever works.

>   How can confidential information like this be sent to a URL and be secure
>   from everyone else?

With encryption, probably.  SSL maybe? Or maybe with specialized hardware?  This
is a very deep topic that you'll probably need to get expert advice to get right.
But basically one of the main motivations for XML is that it can leverage whatever
you have setup for secure HTTP/HTML, or FTP, or email, or whatever, so if you have
a security infrastructure now, you can probably re-use it.