   Re: [xml-dev] the infoset is two infosets (or even three?) [was:Re: [xml

Amelia A Lewis wrote:
> This is wrong.  Sorry to be blunt.

the infoset simply distinguishes 'attributes' and 'namespace
attributes', but both kinds of attributes are modeled as attribute
information items, the latter being checked for conforming to the
validity constraints of xml namespaces.

> Please check the SAX API.  There is no layering.  Check the Infoset
> specification.  "Documents that do not conform to Namespaces [...] are
> not considered to have meaningful information sets."  So leave out SAX1
> style processing, as well as DOM level 1.

what i wanted to say was that *hypothetically* it would be possible to
define a non-namespace infoset, and then to specify how to derive an
namespace-infoset from it. i was not clear enough in saying that this
process would also involve moving of namespace declaring attributes from
an element's 'attributes' property to its 'namespace attributes'
property, but the process i had in mind remains the same.

it was simply an attempt to show people that things like what i am
proposing are already going on, even though they are hidden because the
infoset currently is monolithic.

> This is not layering.  This is directly changing processing.  Namespace
> declarations are not accessible through the infoset attributes
> property.  They are only available through the namespaces property, and
> even so not directly (there isn't a namespace declarations property; in
> a true infoset object model, the only way of knowing about a declaration
> is detection of an additional namespace in the namespaces property of a
> newly-entered element information item).

ha! and now it's my turn! you are wrong! i am right! ;-) namespace
declarations actually can be reached via *two* paths, one being the
'namespace attributes' property, the other one being the 'in-scope
namespaces' property. via the first way, you get them as attribute items
(in their markup flavor), via the second way, as namespace items (in
their namespace flavor).

to summarize: namespace-awareness changes attributes declaring
namespaces by moving them from the general 'attributes' to the special
'namespace attributes' property, and by deriving namespace items from
them (and making these namespace items accessible from element items).

cheers,

erik wilde  -  tel:+41-1-6325132  -  fax:+41-1-6321035
           mailto:net.dret@dret.net -  http://dret.net/
           computer engineering and networks laboratory
           swiss federal institute of technology  (eth)
           * try not. do, or do not. there is no try. *