   Re: [xml-dev] patterns vs. identifiers

Eric van der Vlist writes:
> > None of those suggest to me that the XML WG set out to produce, for
> > instance, RDF.
>
> It depends what you are doing with RDF and I would argue that:
>
>    <book rdf:about="http://my.library/book/0836217462";>
>         <isbn>0836217462</isbn>
>         <title>Being a Dog Is a Full-Time Job</title>
>         <author
> rdf:resource="http://my.library/author/Charles-M.-Schulz"/>
>         <character
> rdf:resource="http://my.library/character/Peppermint-Patty"/>
>         <character
> rdf:resource="http://my.library/character/Charlie-Brown"/>
>         <character rdf:resource="http://my.library/character/Snoopy"/>
>         <character
> rdf:resource="http://my.library/character/Schroeder"/>
>         <character rdf:resource="http://my.library/character/Lucy"/>
>     </book>
>
> is not more complex than a XML counterpart such as:
>
>    <book id="book_0805033106">
>         <isbn>0805033106</isbn>
>         <title>Peanuts Every Sunday </title>
>         <author href="author_Charles-M.-Schulz"/>
>         <character href="character_Sally-Brown"/>
>         <character href="character_Snoopy"/>
>         <character href="character_Linus"/>
>         <character href="character_Lucy"/>
>     </book>
>
> (examples from http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2000/10/04/linking/index.html)
>
> The fact that a language allows to write readable documents doesn't
> mean that any document using this language will be readable :-) and
> some years ago I used to say that one can write a readable and
> modular program in assembly language or an unreadable and non modular
> one in Pascal...

Sure thing, but RDF isn't designed with human-readable in mind at all,
and you've pretty much approached the outer limits of ordinary linking
in the XML while barely scratching the surface in the RDF example.

Simon St.Laurent - SSL is my TLA
http://simonstl.com may be my URI
http://monasticxml.org may be my ascetic URI
urn:oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.6320 is another possibility altogether