   Re: [xml-dev] Namespace declaration versus attribute

Amy! Lewis wrote:
> Totay.  Lessee if I can present this any better.

	Umm, not quite.

> Given the following DTD:

	 Note that DTDs, being XML 1.0, are blissfully
Namespace-agnostic...

> <!ELEMENT root( #PCDATA)>
>
> and given XML 1.0, pre-Namespaces processing, the following instance is
> DTD-invalid:
>
> <root xmlns="scheme://auth/path">text</root>
>
> This is because the DTD does not include an xmlns attribute in the root
> element content model.

	Correct.

> The following example, under the same processing conditions is also
> DTD-invalid:
>
> <ns:root xmlns:ns="scheme://auth/path">text</ns:root>
>
> In this case, the "ns:root" element is not recognized.

	Correct.

> Add namespace-awareness to the processor, and both examples are now
> DTD-valid.

	Nope.  Since the DTD hasn't changed, and DTD validation
pays no attention to Namespaces, both are still invalid.
To make the first valid, you'd have to have an attribute
declaration for xmlns.  To make the second valid, you'd have
to change the element declaration to ns:root and add the
attribute declaration for xmlns:ns.  Additionally, with some
varieties of MS parser, I believe you need to make the xmlns
attributes #FIXED.

--
Kian-Tat Lim, ktl@ktlim.com, UTF-7: +Z5de+pBU-