   Re: [xml-dev] RDF Interpretation of XML documents (was Re: [xml-d

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" scripsit:

> I like that.   That makes it worth some extra effort.

Me too.

> Just curious... how can the RDF processor do that;
> does it assume an XML parse and then work from that
> essentially as any namespace-aware processor could?

Yes.  An RDF processor is layered on an XML processor (a SAX parser, e.g.)
and extracts facts of the form "Resource S has property V with value O"
from the result of XML parsing, where:

	S can be URI-labeled or anonymous;
	V is URI-labeled;
	O can be:

		a URI-labeled resource,
		an anonymous resource,
		a string, or
		arbitrary XML.

Canonical RDF is contained in an rdf:RDF container, but this is not required
if the processor has some other way of deciding what to work on.

The interpretation algorithm is as follows:

1) Let the level of an element be its nesting depth, where level 1 represents
immediate children of the rdf:RDF element (or implicit equivalent).

2) Odd-level elements represent resources; even-level elements represent
properties.  The GI of a resource element is the resource's type; the
GI of a property element is the property name.  (RDF names are created by
concatenating the localname to the namespace name.

3) The value of a property element is:
	if it's empty and has an rdf:resource attribute, the resource specified
		by the URI in the attribute value;
	if it has character content, the string which is the character content;
	if it has a child element, the anonymous resource represented by
		the child element;
	if it has any other content, the content as literal XML.  (In this
		case there must be an attribute rdf:parseType with value
		"literal" for full RDF compliance.)

4) Attributes on a resource element are minimized string-valued properties
of the resource.  Attributes on a property element are minimized string-valued
properties of an anonymous resource which is the value of the property.

RDF has three built-in types with special syntax that represent bags,
sequences, and sets of alternates.  See RDF Model & Syntax for details.
Untyped resources can be designated using resource elements with a GI
of rdf:Description.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        jcowan@reutershealth.com
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There are