   RE: [xml-dev] namespace reprise

What does a namespace name point to became a philosophical question once
the Namespaces in XML editors decided to use URIs and not URLs. At least
if they chose URLs (or even better HTTP URLs) then one could claim that
they should always point to metadata about a namespace preferrably
multiple kinds of information such as is provided by RDDL and not just
one specific type of schema.

However since they are URIs they are simply identifiers and not
locations so the argument doesn't hold as much water.

> Another thing that bothers me is the rough edges concerning
> APIs. Most
> APIs handle namespaces in a really stupid way. Even XPath in XSLT
> (which, IMHO is by far the best in it's anticipation of namespaces
> thanks to the according axis) is incapable of dynamically producing
> namespaces and one must know the default namespace to match
> the desired
> nodes..

What do you mean by dynamically producing namespaces?

Also, if I'm not wrong, if there are no namespace
> declarations
> then XSLT anticipates the empty string as the default
> namespace (but one
> may correct me in this one). Surelly this is another rec but if
> namespaces are not implemented consistently and effisiently in other
> applications then there must be something wrong with them ;-)

XPath doesn't understand default namespaces and thus I don't think XSLT
does either.

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
Putting in a request to go home early is the best way to jinx yourself

rights.