   Re: [xml-dev] XHTML 2.0: the one bright light?? (Was: linking, 80/20)

* Lars Marius Garshol

| Hmmm. I think you can use URIs as identifiers without getting
| into difficulties over whether you regard them as locators or
| identifiers. RDF uses URIs in both ways, but the core RDF
| model does not make a distinction between these two cases.

* Bill de hÓra

| RDF does not use URIs as locators. Search for 'logical constant' in
| the Model Theory draft.

The RDF Model Theory does not, that is true, but RDF applications very
much do. When people write things like

 <rdf:Description>
  <foaf:name>Lars Marius Garshol</foaf:name>
  <foaf:mbox rdf:resource="mailto:larsga@garshol.priv.no"; />
  <foaf:nick>larsbot</foaf:nick>
  <foaf:homepage rdf:resource="http://www.garshol.priv.no"; />

it is clearly with the intention that the values of statements using
the foaf:mbox and foaf:homepage properties are to be used as locators,
but since the core model only uses the URIs as logical constants there
is no clear distinction between URIs-used-as-locators and
URIs-used-as-identifiers.

You could, correctly, argue that that is not a distinction that exists
in RDF, but that's my whole point, because the distinction very much
exists in the larger context in which RDF finds itself, that is, the
web.