   Re: [xml-dev] A multi-step approach on defining object-orientednature of

Keith W. Boone scripsit:

> 1.  Inheritance.  Namespace declarations in an element impose themselves
> upon the children without regard to whether those children want and/or need
> them.  When I put an attribute on an element, I mean for it to apply only to
> that element.

'When _I_ use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful
tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean--neither more nor
less.'

> 2.  Modelling.  Yeah, there's the InfoSet, then there's the DOM, and finally
> the parsing APIs.  Can any two agree on how exactly to represent the
> namespace data?

The DOM preceded the Infoset and had to deal with legacy issues plus the
(IMHO) will-o-the-wisp of a DOM-based XML editor.

> 3.  Purpose.  What problem does it solve?  Certainly not validation of
> documents which use multiple schemas.  At the time of XML Namespace
> publication, XML Schemas were just barely out of the gate of the standards
> development process.  So we had namespaces which would "allow" reuse of
> different schemas, but no way to validate a document using more than one.

Well, we sure have a way now.

--
John Cowan
        jcowan@reutershealth.com