   Re: [xml-dev] A multi-step approach on defining object-orientednatureof

Mike Champion <mc@xegesis.org> wrote:

| Maybe I'm too busy thrashing in the seaweed to get my head above water,
| but what would a namespaces spec without scoping look like?

The usual nightmare.

| Every element has to explicitly specify its namespace?

Of course.

| Unprefixed element/attribute names are in "no namespace" whatever that
| means?

No.  *All* names are qualified.  The "Motivation and Summary" section of
the Rec sez: "These considerations require that document constructs should
have universal names [...]".  This is a whopping non sequitur, but if
you're willing to take it seriously, the obvious implication is that
*local* names are the "problem" for which "universal names" are the
solution.  Anything else would be um, "ugly and complicated".

Well, sort of.  "Scoping" is just a fancier name for minimization.

| Can the current spec be "profiled" to suggest sane best practice here,
| or does the spec itself have to be fixed to make un-scoped namespaces
| work properly?

The Namespace spec is a political document, not a technical one.  You must
wait for the oracle.