   xml digital preservation

Hi,
I have not a lot of experience with XML and all the other million tools which name starts with "X".
I'm actually working with digital preservation of data and , of course , using XML format.
Our XML documents are "document-centric" and basically they represent articles, internal documents etc.

The idea is to provide a web server where the users can read, write and update their XML documents. I discovered that often these documents contain picture, mathematical symbols and symbols of other alphabets.

So my question is: what can I provide to the web-user for allowing these operations on the documents? I was thinking two different approaches:
- a sort of xhtml, even if, I don' t know how to insert the strange symbols
- ask the user to write the doc in word then submit to the server. The server will take care to convert in rtf and then in xml format  using sth like docbook (i don't like this second solution, it is not really.......web oriented)

I would like to have, as web page, a sort of xml editor, someone knows if it is possible?

Thanks for the help
 Marco