   Re: [xml-dev] Architectural Forms revival?

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com> wrote:
| From: Uche Ogbuji [mailto:uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com]
|
|> One thing, though:  if this sort of thing happens, can we *please* not
|> call it "architectural forms".

| Or perhaps we could call them that and honor those who came before.

Perhaps, but Uche has a point.  SGML terminology is undoubtedly orotund.
I personally prefer "archetype" to "architectural form", but I'm not good
at pizazzy names either.  (Even "archetype" is a bit misleading about the
essential point of the syntactic technique.  We need a short snappy name
for what mathematicians might call a homomorphism.)

| More respect and less unattributed rip off would be a nice precedent,
| and [are] seriously overdue on the web.  Otherwise, we are just a bunch
| of tomb robbers.

The web is a triumph of lowtech muddlefutz adhackery.  Sustaining the
pretensions of backyard garage mechanics is essential to its popularity.