   Re: [xml-dev] Detection of non-Unicode characters

Mark Feblowitz wrote:
> We've gotten ourselves in a slight muddle. We've copied Word documentation
> into (many) xs:annotation blocks in our UTF-8 .xsd files (there are around
> 300 files). In the process, we have apparently brought along some
> non-Unicode characters. This is not tolerated equally well by all tools.

I love that last sentence.  Your problem is probably subtly different
from as stated, which might even make the a difference in the solution.
  It could be the case that the file has bytes that are not actually a
UTF-8 encoding of any character, for example the hex sequence 0AC0C0
cannot possibly occur in UTF8.

I'm not aware of any command-line tools for catching this, but you could
write your own in C in a couple of hours with a copy of the UTF8 rules
handy; it wouldn't be XML-specific.

Second possible problem is that the UTF-8 is good but it encodes Unicode
characters that aren't allowed in XML, like for example  - any
decent XML parser should catch this and give you helpful error messages,
if you have an expat around your system (and a lot of people do these
days) "xmlwf [filename here]" will do the trick.  D'oh, now that I think
about it in fact I bet xmlwf (or equivalent) would probably catch the
UTF8 breakage too.  -Tim