   Re: [xml-dev] patterns vs. identifiers

> On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Mike Champion wrote:
>
> > I think this gets to the heart of Simon's point: He's asserting, and
> > I'm agreeing, that you DON'T need something like Cyc or a huge
> > RDF ontology to disambuguate / figure out how to process markup
> > via its context rather than an elaborate system of identifiers.
>
> Yes, yes! man.

OK.  So maybe you can explain this more clearly, because it is clear as mud to
me.  Based on the bare threads I think I can gather from this statement, and
Simon's, it seems obvious to me that:

1)  RDF does not require identifiers for "disambiguation" or any human
facility at all.  Never has.  In fact, RDF's "requirement" of identifiers is
*exactly* as strong as XSLT's.  IS XSLT also an example of "identifier evil"?

2)  I am quite confused as to how RDF comes into the picture.  Who is saying
that RDF should be used to explain markup structures?  What does this have to
do with namespaces, XHTML or any such matter?

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/libra
ry/x-jclark.html
Python and XML development using 4Suite, Part 3: 4RDF -
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/8A
1EA5A2CF4621C386256BBB006F4CEC