   Re: [xml-dev] patterns vs. identifiers

Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com> wrote:
|[Paul Prescod:]

|> RDF exists to solve a problem: associating metadata with web objects.
|> You can't do that without a strong notion of identity.
|
| So you mean the identity that comes with a string match of URIs?

I can't speak for Paul, but I doubt that is what he meant.  I'd say a
closer example would be the way in which ID attributes establish identity
in a document (i.e. "distinct existence").

[String matching of URIs is an artifact of the now routine denormalizing
practice of stuffing of URIs into attributes, just because a href got
invented way back when.]