   Re: [xml-dev] patterns vs. identifiers

Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com> wrote:
| [Arjun Ray:]

|> When it comes to naming things, there seems to be two schools of thought,
|> platonist naming by provenance and instrumental naming by purpose.
|
| Humph!  I see far more than these 2 "schools of thought".

I'm sorry, I didn't make it obvious enough that I was talking about names
for markup.

|> Universal names are a chimera, a maguffin.
|
| Yes.  So what does this have to do with RDF?

Nothing, except that RDF was the source of the "we need universal names"
angst in XML.

|> The whole business of needing universal names or whatever by day before
|> yesterday originated in the murky depths of what became the RDF activity.

| I never heard this from the RDF activity.  Do you have a citation?

The specific URLs, no, because the www-xml-sig archive is in permanent
deepfreeze at lists.w3.org.  But since you insist, here are two excerpts:

1)