   RE: [xml-dev] Architectural Forms revival?

I sympathize with the terminology pain.
In working with semiotics, we deal with
terms coined when Vicky was the Queen.
I got lost in the HyTime/Groves/DSSSL
terminology a long time ago.  It is as
said:  obscure.

But when one goes to abstract from existing
standards, the question of normative references
will come up.  Drop those and it is a rip off.
Leave those, and all one needs is a synonym
dictionary to keep to the high road.

Be careful here.  You think of the SGMLers as
an elite.  I know them to be anything but that.
I think of the W3C as ogilopolists.  I loathe
to move concepts originated in the commons
into private hands pursuing pseudo-innovation.
Lessig's problem is not realizing that his
heros are the truck drivers for the ogilopoly.

len

From: Uche Ogbuji [mailto:uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com]

> Or perhaps we could call them that and honor
> those who came before.  More respect and
> less unattributed rip off would be a nice precedent,
> and seriously overdue on the web.  Otherwise,
> we are just a bunch of tomb robbers.

Oh.  Come now.  There are other and better ways to respect predecessors that
to keep up a bad name.  I mean, what's your problem with adding on any such
spec:

"This work is inspired by, and borrows many idead from Architecural forms"?

I for one am glad that the sensible Ghanaians chose to rename the patchwork of
nations the Brits stitched togather in to the "Gold Coast".