   Re: [xml-dev] XML indexing/search engine

Naren,

I've been puzzled sitting through presentations at XML conferences on
Native XML Databases. Frequently, these presentations include a statement
on some slide along way like:

   -> RDBMS's are great for corporate, relational data
   -> But, it's great to have your XML information in a separate store

To me, a separate store means (perhaps) a second DBA and (almost surely)
separate backup and recovery techniques (assuming the other databases have
the notion of recovery, which I assume they do, don't they?).

You can definitely go with a separate store, but Oracle believes most customers
will want all of their data managed, queried, backed-up, recovered, etc. in one
place with a single engine that can handle all types of data. In our case, with the
release of Oracle9i R2, that "all types of data" includes rich support for Schema-driven
XML, XSLT, XPath, and SQLX built right into the same engine that we've improved
over the last 25 years. Plus, with our object *view* capability, you can make
XMLType data look like relational data through a view, and any existing relational
data look like (optionally-Schema-constrained) XMLType data so you can store the
data in the format that's best for you (and perhaps, your existing applications),
serve-up the data in whatever format is best for you (relational or XML) and query
that data in a consistent language (SQL + SQLX XML Extensions + XPath Support)
regardless of the type of data you're working with.

We're tracking XQuery too, and have a prototype of our XQuery support up on our OTN site.

Steve Muench - Developer, Product Mgr, Java/XML Evangelist, Author
Simplify J2EE and EJB Development with BC4J
http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/htdocs/j2ee_bc4j.html
Building Oracle XML Apps, http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp