   RE: [xml-dev] inheritance by restriction

<xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
  elementFormDefault="qualified" >

<xs:complexType name="Person">
 <xs:sequence>
  <xs:element name="name"  type="xs:string" />
  <xs:element name="age"  type="xs:positiveInteger" />
  <xs:element name="ssn" type="xs:string" />
 </xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>

<xs:complexType name="SeniorCitizen">
 <xs:complexContent>
  <xs:restriction base="Person">
   <xs:sequence>
    <xs:element name="name"  type="xs:string" />
    <xs:element name="age"  type="sixtyFiveOrOlder" />
    <xs:element name="ssn" type="xs:string" />
   </xs:sequence>
  </xs:restriction>
 </xs:complexContent>
</xs:complexType>

<xs:simpleType name="sixtyFiveOrOlder">
 <xs:restriction base="xs:positiveInteger">
  <xs:minInclusive value="65" />
 </xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>