   Re: [xml-dev] Is W3C Losing the Plot?

AndrewWatt2000@aol.com wrote:

> I guess the immediate stimulus to making this post is having spent the best
> part of the last two days battling through the latest XForms WD and finding
> basic error after basic error. Typo after typo. And, what seem to me at
> least, to be some substantive likely design errors.  I know that many of the
> people in the XForms WG are far from stupid so why wasn't the WD in better
> shape?

I don't know but I don't think it has much to do with the W3C as an
organizational body. Any standards body can produce great stuff or crap
(and I am NOT expressing an opinion about XForms here...I'm just
starting the draft myself). It's basically a question of the
*individuals involved*. James Clark has produced great works under the
aupices of ISO and the W3C and could probably do so in the IETF or ANSI.

> Maybe all this stuff is in hand at W3C but more public indication of longer
> term coherent strategic planning would provide some reassurance.

I believe that XML's popularity was a big surprise at the W3C. A bunch
of members bugged them to do SGML for the Web and they allowed them.
Something cool came out of it. That suggests that central planning is
not necessarily the best way forward.

Yes, the world of web standardization is chaotic. It has been so since
there WERE web standards so I don't see any reason to hit a panic button
now.
--
 Paul Prescod