   RE: [xml-dev] xml schema

At 9:47 AM -0400 9/3/02, Maciejewski, Thomas wrote:

>So if someone is biased or would likely to have a bias towards one solution
>is an important bit of information.

Yes, it would be. So far we don't have that bit of information.
There's no evidence presented that the author of the article in
question is in any way biased. There's no evidence that they're paid
for the specific purpose of presenting their viewpoint. There are
some claims that the author of the article is wrong, but that's a
very different point to make.

>Like if you talked to an oracle sales person and to a Sybase sales person
>about what is the best data solution you would hear two entirely different
>stories

We're not talking about salespeople here. While Oracle and Sybase
salespeople might give very different and very biased opinions on an
issue of databases, there are also many people with strong opinions
on these databases who are not paid to push one or the other and who
are not biased. A --> B does not imply B --> A. One should not assume
that just because someone reaches a different conclusion than you do,
that they are therefore biased, no matter how sure you are that
you're right. That leads to sloppy arguments and bad decision making.