   Re: [xml-dev] Top 10 commercial XML vocabularies?

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> I've seen it done, but not for release.  In that case,
> the syntax wasn't extended; the viewer itself added
> the third dimension algorithmically and didn't reflect
> that in the data.

IIRC some of the Batik examples show 3D rendering within any SVG Viewer.
They are simple exaples but show quite clearly what can be done.

> I am wondering if and when SVG the language will
> be extended.

It has been extended. Yes, it's trivial to do for simple things, and
might get harder if we're talking about complex 3D shapes. Thus far I've
seen little demand for elaborate 3D in SVG, and given that there are
other existing efforts such as X3D I don't see a good reason for adding
those features to SVG. As it stands, it is imho almost feature complete.
The rest just needs a slightly better extensibility framework.

> SVG gets a lot of press, has some very good
> authoring tools, etc., but remains 2D animation.

"remains" sounds a touch condescending to me. It is 2D, that's what it
set out to be, and it does it very well. Given the complexity of moving
from 2D to sufficiently elaborate 3D, and that the better part of what
one does on a terminal is 2D, I think it hits the 80/20 mark far better
by sticking to 2D.

For cases where 3D may be desirable, it is very much possible to have an
SVG implementation interact with an implementation of a 3D vocabulary.
The SVG plugin used in Real One as a SMIL enabled component show that
rather well imho.

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway