   Re: [xml-dev] Don't Let Architecture Astronauts Scare You

> before using other technologies -- if you had a reason to. All that
> Distributed Services Nirvana the architecture astronauts are blathering about
> was promised to us in the past, if we used DCOM, or JavaBeans, or OSF DCE, or
> CORBA."

(I was the OSF DCE Technical Lead.  At times I am seriously amused by
watching web services re-create what DCE offered years ago.)

There's a fundamental difference between then and now.  For the first
time, *everyone* is providing the same distributed systems
infrastructure.  As an application person, I don't have to get a JRE on
every machine, or put a Corba/IIOP engine on the desktop, etc.   The
barrier to deployment of distributed applicaitons -- and soon, secure
distributed applications -- is nearly zero.  That's an important first.

Joel, an MSFT type, either doesn't see or doesn't appreciate this.
	/r$