   RE: [xml-dev] Don't Let Architecture Astronauts Scare You

my 2c on this is that it all depends on you failure allowance.

If I am building a computer program to control a mars probe I may want to
design and implement the best that I could.

But in most cases especially with redundant servers etc ... do we really
need a program to NEVER fail and be flexible to the point that it can mold
it self to become anything in the future.

Balance this out with the limited resources that most projects have (
developers , servers ).

I am beginning to believe in disposable software for many applications.   I
know this sounds very "extreme programming" - ish  but my belief on this is
that until you actually get your hands dirty on a project and you get some
feedback from the people using the tool ( or whatever it is ) you don't
really have enough information to judge what the best usage of design effort
is.  Most projects are over designed and over engineered and many miss the
mark.  Not because of bad engineering but because there is not enough
information to design the project for even 1 year in the future.

That being said.  You can learn patterns.  You can see commonality between
similar projects.  So this experience will guide you to take the best first
guess.  I guess it is sort of like an iterative solution where you take a
stab in the dark.  Get everything running.  At that point if you need to
write it over and redesign what you have I would bet you have a much better
understanding of the problem at hand than you did the first time around.
After a few of these iterations the direction of the technology becomes
clearer.

My philosophy is keep design time to a minimum. Certainly keep the number of
people involved in any one meeting to a minimum.
Start off with a fairly general spec.  Then build additional attributes into
it.  Refactor at each iteration.  If you see a chance to build in some
flexibility that doesn't cost much ... do it but don't spend weeks making
something overly flexible.  Optimize as needed.