   RE: [xml-dev] Microsoft's vision of data and the role of XML in that con

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Microsoft's vision of data and the role of XML in that context
  • From: "Alastair Dallas" <adallas@infospect.com>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:40:59 -0700

Didier PH Martin wrote:

> For the curious fellows interested to know what the Redmond 800 pound
> gorilla views as a future and the role of XML in it, Check the video
> presentation you'll find at the end of this link:
> http://www.fawcette.com/reports/vsliveor/2002/09_18_02/keynote/.
> Keep in mind that the API presented in this video is a client side API
> used to interface with data (structured and semi-structured).

The video is about an hour and my viewer didn't support rewind or downloading, so I thought this list might appreciate a brief summary.

The speaker is Dave Reed, General Manager of XML and Data Techologies (davereed@microsoft.com) at the VisualStudio.NET conference in Orlando, FL on 9/17/02

Microsoft sees application developers as SQL-heads, XML-heads, or Object-heads and aims to provide the strongest tools for each in the context of a unified architecture consisting of a Simplication Layer above a mapping "Space" layer, working with Cache and Reader components. Today, ADO.NET is focused on SQL Server with a mapping to XML. "XML is strictly in the Client and Middle tiers." Native XML may/will come in future, but it's about mapping for now. A bridge between relational data and XML.

XML is for data, XML is for function invocation. There is Data-centric XML (Order, Customer) and Document-centric XML (book, email) and Microsoft does not draw a hard line between the two. Microsoft is very serious in its support for XQuery (also XSD and XSLT). Reed mentioned several technologies, however, that Microsoft will support but not extend: SOAP Toolkit (3.0 is last new version), XDR, and VBLib to name three. He mentioned that Microsoft deliberately chose not to support SAX.

Reed outlined Microsoft's XML Technologies with this slide:

I/O: XMLReader
Resource Resolution: XMLResolver
Caches: XMLDocument, XMLNode, etc.
Processing: XMLTranslation