   RE: [xml-dev] Underwhelmed (WAS: [xml-dev] XOM micro tutorial)

Arjun Ray [mailto:aray@nyct.net] wrote:

> | There were and are plenty of language-specific APIs for SGML/XML
> | processing, and none of them need to interoperate with each other.
> | This isn't something that the W3C needs to standardize IMO.
>
> I agree.  The formlization of an infoset spec is not only enough,
> it makes DOM irrelevant.

+1. Standardizing APIs across languages does nothing but make them
harder for everyone to use. It seems that some of today's most
commonly-used and popular APIs have stayed as far from standardization
as possible.

One of the keys to XML's success is that it doesn't enforce a
programming model or specific API.

--
Aaron Skonnard <http://skonnard.com>, DevelopMentor <http://develop.com>
   Essential XML Quick Reference available online in PDF format...

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side & a dark side, and it
holds the universe together.