   Re: [xml-dev] Underwhelmed (WAS: [xml-dev] XOM micro tutorial)

Mike Champion <mc@xegesis.org> wrote:

| You're saying that that DOM's pursuit of the chimera of XML+CSS as
| the universal light application platform helped kill Netscape?

No.  Netscape, per se, had very little to do with the future except in the
minds of the wowser-whipped ("Yeah, I got it to work in both browsers!" as
in "Yes, we play *both* Country and Western here").

The DOM-inspired chimera all but ensured that there would be no browser
diversity.  Netscape had already pretty much killed that, and Microsoft
merely cashed in.

| More people would assert that Netscape's failure to pursue XML
| aggressively gave Microsoft a powerful differentiator.

Netscape was always a "Real Programmers Don't RTFM" outfit.  If they had
pursued XML "agressively", they would have made a clueless botch of it
anyway.

| I would agree that the demise of Netscape as a credible platform
| killed interest in browser API standards.

Netscape killed that interest for Microsoft.