   Re: [xml-dev] XPath/XSLT 2.0 concerns

I think there's a lot of room for clever and creative optimizations for XSLT
that would have a real impact. Using Schema information at
stylesheet-compile time to generate a custom tree-builder (instead of using
an off the shelf DOM) for this stylesheet could possibly save a lot of
processing time and memory, even for "//*/foo" targets.

However, it is actual work to implement something like this. And anyone who
wants to build such a thing could also go through the trouble of building a
DTD/W3CXMLSchema/RNG interpreter on their own. There's no need for strongly
typed xpath.

-Wayne Steele