   Re: [xml-dev] XPath/XSLT 2.0 concerns

Jeni Tennison wrote:

> I do worry a bit about moving such stylesheets between schema
> languages if what you find at the end of the schema:: axis could be
> different from schema language to schema language.

I don't worry that much. I don't think it will happen very often that you
change
schema language for a particular application. And when it happens it is not by
accident so you will know to check for the use of the schema axis. I'ts a bit
like
changing datatype library in your RELAX NG schema.

> What I've been dreaming about, for my fantasy XPath, is something
> where axes themselves are fairly modular from word go. (Basically
> they're just a shorthand for calling a function that accepts a node
> and returns a sequence of nodes, but to make it fit with node tests
> and predicates you need to also specify its principal node type and
> whether it's a forward or reverse axis.) Core XPath would define the
> abbreviated axes: child, parent, descendant-or-self. The
> XPath-for-XSLT module would add the other ones used by XSLT. And then
> other modules could specify whatever axes they wanted, in a namespace.

Sounds like an interesting idea. What about abbreviation possiblities then?
I guess this approach excludes abbreviations from the extension axes or
should it be a part of the axis definition?

Cheers,
David