   Re: [xml-dev] RE: SGML On The Web

"Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:
| Arjun Ray writes:

|> More Tag Soup.  They want to command the client: Do This And Then
|> Do That.

| Even for me, that's far too bleak.  The developers I've found who've
| hit HTML's limitations have generally found themselves forced to code
| more elegantly, not simply pile on features.

Glad to hear it, but I see no evidence of this.

| [...] I find a lot of developers would prefer to clean up their HTML
| in order to apply various tools to it (like CSS and scripting)

IOW, in order to command Do This And Then Do That, more um effectively.

| than shift completely away from the document-based approach.

IMHO, the developers who think in terms of documents are a vanishingly
small minority.  For most of them, the word 'document' figures in their
working lexicon only as the prefix on '.write()'.

| You may not be fond of CSS and scripting, but the process does force
| Web developers to think about what they're doing and why.

Does this explain px-fontsizing fliegendreck and "javascript:" URLs?

| There is a chance for developers to move from Tag Soup to [a] more
| systematic approach, but it does help to provide them with reasons
| and accessible toolkits.

When the end result is something for a Tag Soup processor?  Virtue may be
its own reward, but that isn't the apppropriate banality.  More like: no
silk purses from sows' ears.