   Re: [xml-dev] RE: SGML On The Web

Arjun Ray writes:
> The real question is why Mozilla, for example, continues to support
> Tag Soup.  The answer to that is the key to the gestalt of the web.
> IMHO.

Well then, I guess we've hit it.  You insist that the Web needs a total
cleanup, perhaps a rebirth, before it's worthy of further consideration.
Mozilla does put a lot of work into mapping ill-considered HTML into
clean XML structures, sure, and it supports the CSS and Javascript on
which you pour contempt, but I'm not entirely sure why you expect Web
developers to drop everything and rush to the SGML model.

(I'm not entirely sure why you find describing margins in CSS as
something opposed to your "visions", either.)

I've already suggested that the belief in reinvention that accompanied
the early XML work led to a lot of conflict and not much success along
the initial "SGML for the Web" dreams, so I guess maybe it's just a
hopeless culture clash.

Coming from the other side, I've always felt the Web had as much to
teach the SGML folks as the other way around.  That notion seems to have
gone over badly since the response to my very first post here[1],
however.

I suspect we'd agree, however, that the synthesis at the W3C is rarely
what I'd like.

[1] - http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/199710/msg00129.html

Simon St.Laurent - SSL is my TLA
http://simonstl.com may be my URI
http://monasticxml.org may be my ascetic URI
urn:oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.6320 is another possibility altogether