   Re: [xml-dev] RE: SGML On The Web

"Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:

| You insist that the Web needs a total cleanup, perhaps a rebirth,
| before it's worthy of further consideration.

Actually, no.  The problem with "SGML on the web" is with the article
"the".  One could think about "SGML on a web", and work towards it, but
the idea SGML/XML can coexist on the same web is a geeky delusion.

The social phenomenon being ignored is Gresham's Law ("cheap currency
drives out the dear".)

| I'm not entirely sure why you expect Web developers to drop everything
| and rush to the SGML model.

That's just it.  I don't.

| (I'm not entirely sure why you find describing margins in CSS as
| something opposed to your "visions", either.)

Perhaps I should marvel at the "thinking about structure", or perhaps at
the grasp thereof,  that went into class names such as "fourhundred" and
"fifty" and "orangebox".

Oh, I get it.  Do as they say, not as they do, right?

| Coming from the other side, I've always felt the Web had as much to
| teach the SGML folks as the other way around.

Agreed.

| That notion seems to have gone over badly since the response to my very
| first post here[1], however.

This puzzles me.  Were you suggesting that CDATA declared content is a
useful feature?  (If only to rationalize inlining of scripts in a way that
required no smarts on the part of browser vendors?)

| I suspect we'd agree, however, that the synthesis at the W3C is rarely
| what I'd like.

You're right.