   Re: [xml-dev] SGML on the Web

> > That's very odd to me, as about 97% of the XML I work with (including
> > the data) can be viewed usefully in a browser with just CSS -
> > display:table being particularly useful, but hardly the only case.
>
> don't you have cross reference elements where you need to generate text
> by chasing the reference? or require tables of contents and other
> generated lists and navigation links or have " highly structured
> XML representing data fields that you want to display in some different
> order in natural language paragraph style? I always seem to need to do
> all of these things (before we even get to worry about the mathematics)
>
> CSS is fine if you just want to syntax highlight your XML but you really
> want to see the structure of the XML file (perhaps because you are
> editing it) rather than see the document resulting from that XML.

I also find myself way over on the XSLT rather than CSS end of the scale.  A
very high proportion of the XML I use (quite possibly 97%, but I claim no such
precision) requires more than mere CSS for useful presentation as I desire it.

That having been said, I do think that the idea of XML+CSS has been
unfortunately neglected.  People with Simon's use cases should be supported
better across the spectrum of XML technologies.

Apache 2.0 API - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-apache/
Python&XML column: Tour of Python/XML - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/09/18/py.
html
Python/Web Services column: xmlrpclib - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/w