   Re: [xml-dev] More namespaces fun!

Paul Prescod wrote:
> Tim Bray wrote:
>
>> The clouds billowing around the XLink/HLink rhubarb seem to have
>> obscured the fact that the TAG also issued an opinion on "Namespace
>> Documents", which in normal times would be good for approximately 8000
>> xml-dev messages.  Check out
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2002Sep/0185.html -
>> feedback would be welcome. -Tim
>
> It sounds like a reasonable direction to me. I think that there are huge
> issues about how namespaces combine and how to combine resources
> associated with them but for single-namespace documents, RDDL is a good
> solution.

Paul, you're about the fifth smart person to fall into this trip which
means it's a nasty one and RDDLers have to be careful.  There's no such
thing as a RDDL for a document.  There's a RDDL for a *namespace*.

The problems of multi-namespace docs, and whether there is such a thing
as a good general best practice for how to process them, is a big ugly
problem that hasn't received enough consideration.  RDDL might be a
little piece of the solution (at least there's a place to go when
information-gathering about any one of the namespaces) but there's way
more to it.  At the moment I'm unconvinceed there's a useful general
solution.

And by the way this is another gold star for XML-dev, where the RDDL
ideas emerged & got worked out back in late 2000.  -Tim