   Re: [xml-dev] More namespaces fun!

Tim Bray wrote:

> Paul, you're about the fifth smart person to fall into this trip which
> means it's a nasty one and RDDLers have to be careful.  There's no such
> thing as a RDDL for a document.  There's a RDDL for a *namespace*.

Actually I'm not convinced that the RDDL specification is technically
limited that way**, but I understand that namespace explanation is the
central point of RDDL. Let me rephrase my point:

  * if I encounter a document "out of the blue" with only one namespace,
I would confidently look up the RDDL and use the schemas, stylesheets,
classes, etc. specified there.

  * if I encounter a document o-o-t-b with only one namespace
represented on the root element, but others inline, I would proceed to
the RDDL with about 80% certainty (not sure what to do in code about
this confusion, but...). I would have NO IDEA what to do about the
schemas, etc. for the inner namespaces.

  * if I encounter a document o-o-t-b with a namespace on the root and
another namespace on an attribute then my certainty about the
applicability of the RDDL has to drop to about 60% because of the XSLT
precedent.

I find this personally an uncomfortable situation but I think that RDDL
only exposes it, not causes it.

  Paul Prescod

** on thinking about it, I kind of wonder whether documents should be
able to suggest RDDLs as they can suggest schemas and stylesheets.