   RE: [xml-dev] XDocs and XForms?

10/15/2002 2:52:28 PM, "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com> wrote:

>I'm mystified as to why you would think this
>would all go into IE.  Surely by now you've
>come to understand that a web browser based
>on HTML is a boat anchor.  A tag-soup
>browser was and always has been a short sighted,
>way to implement a hypermedia system.  We knew it
>in 1993.

<yanking-lens-chain>
All those fools who wasted their time deploying
Web infrastructure and applications.  All for nothing,
eh? Too bad they didn't listen to you in 1993. We'd
probably have something REAL slick like Xanadu by now ;-)
</yanking-lens-chain>

> The world needed training wheels
>and UofC and Berners-Lee gave them
>that.  It is almost a decade later, and
>having repeated a decade of hypertext
>research, fixing some nits, and getting
>markup out there instead of gencode,
>the time of the browser-centric web is
>coming to an end for enterprise developers.

That may be.  It will be very interesting to see if
XDocs succeeds where Blackbird failed (e.g.,
as a "high-quality", commercial-strength, cleaned-up
replacement for an evolved format).

<pouring-gas-on-the-fire>
I personally can't think of anyone who ever won a
significant bet against Worse is Better .....
</pouring-bas-on-the-fire>

For the record, I'll bet on (X)HTML forms here ...
OTOH, I've thought for a long time that a product such as
XDocs that could generate a decent UI to populate instances
of a specific schema would be a killer app.  Whether that
is done in all-proprietary code a la XDocs, in some HTML forms
-based hack, or with XForms remains to be seen.